Find out latest news from Nordkalk
These are not empty words to us. It is something we have promised everyone around Nordkalk: our customers, our colleagues, our owners and the societies where we operate.
A key part of our strategy is our commitment to fossil-free operations and fossil-free lime production. Besides doing our part in climate change mitigation, we believe this to be good business as well from at least three perspectives:
- Our direct customers and end customers expect this commitment from us, which means we will become more competitive when we achieve it.
- Our customers know that the change comes with a cost and are willing to pay that cost, if we are early to adapt to fossil-free operations and lime production.
- It means that we will use less fossil fuels, the price of which will increase in the future.
Apart from these pure business reasons, a final argument is that emitting CO2 is not sustainable when going forward. Therefore it is most likely that CO2 emissions will be banned in the future. We are not there yet, but the writing is on the wall.
Our task at hand is to decisively transform the company to meet our long-term target of fossil-free operations and lime production by 2045. I believe this is possible, but to be honest, it will not be easy. We probably know in detail only about 1/3 of the activities needed in order to reach the goal. Another 1/3 we know roughly and the remaining 1/3 we have no clue of - yet. But we are determined and committed to achieving it.
We have already initiated a large number of concrete initiatives as part of our eLIMEnate road map towards fossil-free operations. Just to give a few examples:
- In Finland, we are a part of a cross industry research project FFS - Towards Fossil-free steel, funded by Business Finland. Our sub-project aims for lime production with fossil-free energy.
- We have made a study on how to transform the next operational site fossil-fuel free. This is to happen in the next few years.
- We are changing to biofuels on several sites, studying the conversion to biofuels and looking into opportunities to extend the electrification of our operations.
- We are studying carbon capture storage and aiming at having a pilot plant in place soon.
We will keep you updated on the progress of all the projects.
Nordkalk is determined and committed to fossil-fuel free operations and lime production. Not only because it is good business - but because it is a must for a brighter tomorrow.
Nordkalk is the leading limestone company in Northern Europe. We deliver essential raw materials to numerous industries, and our solutions contribute to clean air and water as well as productivity of agricultural land.